Have you just completed your 10th, the first board exam? Now you must be thinking after completing 10th grade, what’s next? Certainly, this is your first and most important academic milestone towards your career in future. Therefore, it is normal to be overwhelmed and confused about whether to choose senior secondary or opt directly from a long list of vocational or skill development courses in the area of your interest. No doubt, the choice is difficult but “sometimes even the smallest decision can change our future forever” – Kerry Russell. In this blog, you will explore a comprehensive list of courses after 10th standard from which you can choose the option that is aligned with your area of interest.
Before diving straight into a wide list of courses after 10th standard, let’s understand different streams and combinations after the 10th first.
How to choose the right stream after 10th standard?
After completing 10th grade, choosing the best stream in 10+2 may be a cakewalk for some but can be challenging for other students. Ideally, you should do your own research first and also take help from other people who know in and out of that particular stream such as career counsellors, teachers or even your seniors. Then, compare the results of your research on different parameters of which most important is your own interest and abilities then also consider recent trends, curriculum and career perspectives.
The main three streams include Science, Commerce and Arts or Humanities with a variety of combinations of different subjects.
- Science – Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics, Computer Science (Optional)
- Commerce – Finance, Economics, Accountancy, Statistics, Mathematecis, Business Studies, Information technology.
- Arts (Humaities) – English, History, Political Science, Geography, Home Science, Economics, Fine Arts, Sociology, Psychology, Physical Education
If you want to become a doctor you can opt for a PCB combination (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) and if interested in research or engineering then PCM or PCMB (with Math) is more appropriate. Whereas, students who want to make their career in banking, accounts and finance can opt for Commerce stream.
Doing regular studies may not be enough in this fast-competitive world therefore doing an additional course that enhances your professional skill and give you practical exposure can be a boon for students. Here, we will explain various course options and the detailed list of courses after 10th standard one can choose from.
What are the different Courses Options after the 10th?
Most students naturally progress to secondary education or 12th after their 10th. Moreover, they have to choose from various streams such as Science, Commerce or Arts (Humanities) according to their strengths, interest and career goals. These streams can help students to focus on particular subjects that lay the foundation for their higher studies and career in future. However, some students also enroll in professional courses apart from their regular studies either part or full-time such as:
- Diploma / Certificate Courses
- Polytechnic or Engineering Courses
- ITI or Vocational Courses
- Paramedical Courses
- Computer Science / Information Technology Courses
- Tour and Travel / Hospitality Courses
- Business Courses
- Foreign Language Courses
It is necessary to analyze every option carefully by checking current trends, curriculum, mode of delivery and future prospects to make a well-informed decision. In addition, you can also go for the counselling option from school or take help from career counsellors or consultants online or near you. Right guidance is crucial, as it’s common among students to get misinformed and end up making wrong decisions. Hence, take your time to decide than regretting later. Here is a list of courses after 10th standard that can make your search journey a bit easier and smoother.
How courses after 10th can shape your career path?
After the 10th you can go for long-term or short-term courses, they can be either part or full-time and can be done offline or online. Whatever you choose, should suit your interest, which makes all the difference in the end. To stay ahead of the competition and unlock your true potential, these professional courses are in great demand. You can continue your mainstream studies along with these short courses can equip you with all the necessary tools that you might need to be future-ready. Here are some top advantages to do short-term courses after the 10th standard:
- Need less time to complete and can be done simultaneously with the regular studies
- One can spend more time on the hobbies and learning new skills
- Get practical training and industry exposure that sharpen the professional skills
- Diverse career options and a wide range of employment opportunities
- The courses can also help children financially with further studies and career options
- More affordable as compared to other degree courses and make your resume stand out
Professional Diplomas / Certificates
These are short-term courses conducted by different educational institutes and polytechnics in various technical and non-technical fields. Depending on your interest in 10th, results in 10+2 and the scores you get in the entrance exam you can opt for a suitable diploma for you. A diploma generally takes 1-3 years to complete and imparts theoretical as well as practical knowledge. After completion, you can take up an entry-level job or directly enrol in the second year of a graduation program in your respective field.
- Engineering (mechanical, civil. etc.)
- Graphic Design
- Software Testing
- Fashion or Textile Design
- Web Design and Development
- Hotel Management
- Elementary Education
- Digital Marketing
- Data Entry Operator
- Office Automation
- Computer Teacher Training
- Fine Arts / Applied Arts
- Printing and Publishing
- Physical Education
- Library Science
- Electronics and Communications
- Dairy Technology
- Make-up and Beauty
- Bakery and Confectionary
- Information Technology
- Instrumentation Technology
- Food Technology
- Interior Designing
- Event Management
- Animation and Multimedia
- Hotel Reception and Bookkeeping
- Business Management
- Cyber Security
- Hardware and Networking
- Call Centre Management
- Financial Accounting
- Beauty Culture and Hair Dressing
- Painting and Drawing
- Script Writing
- Fire Safety
- Ceramic Technology
- Cosmetology and Health Telecommunication
Polytechnic or Engineering Courses
Polytechnic courses are technical diplomas in engineering which can be completed in a span of 3 years after your 10th grade. These professional courses are in great demand nowadays and can be a great option for you if you are interested in math, manufacturing or production. These courses can directly allow you to take admission in the second year of graduation in B.E (Bachelor of Engineering) or B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology).
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biotechnology Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Production and Industrial Engineering
- Agriculture Engineering
- Textile Engineering
- Power Engineering
ITI courses after 10th standard
ITIs or Industrial Training Institutes comes under the category of post-secondary schools constituted under the DGT (Directorate General of Training) and other Government ministries. After enrolment, these institutes provide knowledge and technical training in the industrial sector to the students. After completion of the course, students undergo rigorous training of a year or more to gain practical exposure.
- Medical Technician
- Lab Technician
- Dental Lab Technician
- Domestic or Industrial Painter
- Building Maintenance or Constructor
- Excavator (mining) Operator
- Mechanic Repair and Maintenance
- Plastic Process Operator
- Rubber Technician
- Mechanic (instruments, electronics, motor vehicle, machinery or hardware etc.)
- Weaving Technician
- Tourist Guide
- Hospitality and Catering Assistant
- Baker and Confectioner
- Computer Operator and Program Assistant
- Tailoring (cutting and sewing)
- Human Resource Executive
- Leather Goods Creator
- Animation and Multimedia Specialist
- Beautician and Spa Therapy
- Office Assistant and Secretary
- Computer and programming Assistant
- Secretarial Assistant cum Stenographer
- Information Technology
- Tour and Travel
- Web Designer and Computer Graphics
- Digital Marketing
- Airline Crew (steward)
- Fitter and Welder
- Front Office Assistant
- Insurance Agent
- Footwear Developer
- Music Production
- Domestic or Corporate Housekeeping
- Data Entry Operator
- Radiology Technician
- Driver (light or heavy motor vehicle)
- Tool and Dye Maker
- Fashion Design and Technology
- Footwear Developer
- Garment Construction
Medical and Paramedic Courses
These are one of the most popular short-term certificate and diploma courses that can be done after completing 10th or 12th standard. To enrol in the paramedical courses, students should have science stream/subjects in their class 11th and they also need to clear respective entrance exams. Medical science is advancing day by day so does the scope of these courses, especially in the rapidly growing healthcare sector. Moreover, in a country like India there is a huge gap between the current and actual requirements of paramedics, therefore, these courses ensure a bright and promising future in this industry. Furthermore, these courses are of short duration and much more economical as compared to other medical courses such as MBBS etc. with great better employment opportunities.
- Radiology (X-ray) Technology
- CT or MRI Technician
- Dialysis Technician’
- Medical Laboratory Assistant
- Operation Theater Assistant
- Nursing Care Assistant
- ECG Technology
- Dental Mechanics
- Clinical Research
- Anesthesia Technology
- Hospital Administration
- Physician Assistant
- Critical Care Technology
- Child and Maternal Health
- Home Healthcare
- Health Information Technician
- Medical Record Technology
- Medical Coder
- Public or Rural Health
- Medical or Scientific Writer
- Orthopedic Technology
- Occupation Therapy
- Naturopathy and Yoga Science
Information Technology (IT) has become one of the emerging fields in this digital era. It is a study of systems to store, transmit, retrieve and manipulate data. This technology is used in various fields such as healthcare, e-commerce, business, education, transport and governance etc. which makes it the perfect choice for those who are interested in computers and related fields.
- Data Science and Analytics
- Information Technology
- Hardware Networking and Information Security
- Computer Application
- Social Media Management
- Graphic and Web Designing
- MS Office Course
- Advanced Excel Course
- 3 D Animation
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Marketing
Foreign Language Courses
In today’s fast-growing economy global trotting for business or pleasure has become a new norm. Studying a foreign language can provide a wide range of employment opportunities in India and other countries from an executive to a managerial level. Students are learning different languages at the school level as well as basic and advanced level courses with their graduation and post-graduation.
- Spoken English
- Course in Creative Writing
- French Language Course
- Spanish Language Course
- German Language Course
- Japanese Language Course
- Italian Language Course
List of Other Courses
Tour and Travel
These courses are great opportunity for someone who is interested in exploring world, different food or cuisines. If yes, then you can choose from wide variety of specialized courses available in this field.
- Food Technology
- Hospitality Management
- Front Office/Reception Management
- Food and Beverage Production
- Hotel Management and Catering
Business related courses
If you want to start your own startup or business either offline or online mode or combination of both, then the courses given below definitely help you achieve your goals.
- Junior MBA Course
- Soft Skills and Communication
- Social Media Marketing
- Business Management
- Digital Marketing and E-Commerce
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Retail Management
- Banking and Finance
- Advanced Program in Leadership in the Digital Era
How to choose the right course from a list of courses after 10th standard?
- Know your Interest – Don’t choose any course under the pressure of your family, friends or peer. Find out the stream or area of your interest first whether it’s science, medicine, commerce, arts etc.
- First of all, make a detailed list of courses offered in the field you’re passionate about with all the relevant details such as mode, duration, fee structure, and placement opportunities.
- Compare and analyze every aspect of the courses and know the prospects. While doing your research keep your mind open and have a backup plan in place.
- Take help from career counsellors or people from the same profession and ask your queries and clear all the doubts to make a wise decision.
- Choose a course that is aligned with your interest, dream and passion. Most importantly, don’t doubt your skills and never give up on your dreams.
What are the Other Basic Requirements of these Professional Courses?
As discussed above, there is a sweeping list of courses after 10th standard one can pick from. Most of these courses have basic eligibility of passing 10th with minimum 50% marks. There may be a written entrance exam also to get admission, however, it’s not applicable for all the courses.
The duration of the course may vary from 6 months to 3 years depending upon the type of course. The fee structure also varies from institute to institute depending upon whether it’s private or government and the facilities it provides. It may range from 5 thousand INR to 5 lakhs or more. During the course and after its completion most of the students get extensive training or internship to get practical exposure. After this training either students can continue their further studies or directly apply for jobs in their receptive fields.
What is the Scope of Skill Development Courses After 10th standard?
Professional and skill development courses after 10th can provide great employment opportunities. After completing the course, students can either start a job in their respective fields or take admission directly into bachelor-level courses for further studies.
With these additional skills applicants get an edge over others and usually get better packages in the early stages of their careers. Many companies hire diploma holders over regular or basic degree holders because they have practical knowledge and experience. So dream big, work hard and make it happen but don’t forget to take help whenever you need it..
- Subject in Arts Stream in 11th: Courses, Jobs in 2023
- Top 6 Computer Courses After 10th in 2023
- List of Courses after 10th Standard
- Top 10 Medical Coding Courses Online with Career Options
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The first and foremost important thing is to know your interest, strengths and skills and choose your 10+2 stream and professional course accordingly. There is a wide array of short and long courses available in every field which you can pursue along with your regular studies or enrol directly. The common options are polytechnic or engineering courses, foreign language, information technology (IT), business, paramedical, ITI, tour and travel.
It’s normal to feel overwhelmed and confused while choosing the right stream after completing 10th. You can take help from your parents, family, elder siblings or even online/offline career counsellors to make a conscious decision. After completing 10th in your senior secondary you usually come across three main streams that include Science, Commerce, Arts or Humanities with a combination of different subjects. You can choose your stream according to your interest and career goals.
There is a comprehensive list of courses after 10th standard you can choose from. These certificate or diploma courses are short-duration, cost-effective and can be done online or offline simultaneously with your regular studies. These courses can improve your professional skills and provide you with practical exposure or training in the relevant industry.